Sunday, December 14, 2003

BLOGGING IS TOUGH
I was reading over my posts from yesterday, and I realize there's some stuff I already disagree with. I wrote, for example, that Michael Moore "frankly hates Middle America." But now I think that's totally wrong. I remember him walking around the suburbs, talking to people-- he's a nice guy, and I think he really likes the sort of people who comprise Middle America. He hates America's political and business leadership, and its foreign policy, to some extent he hates Hollywood culture-- in short, he hates a lot of people who are empowered in various ways, some sort of "power elite"-- but he is tender and kind towards most real live people when he meets them. I think he is wrong about the power elite, in all sorts of ways, he's paranoid and even quite mendacious... Maybe a subtler and truer statement would have been "What Michael Moore hates is just Middle America (though he doesn't know it)." And I have plenty against Middle America too-- for example, their opposition to immigration.

My main point is that blogging is tough. It's so easy to get carried away, so hard to be sensitive to what your words might mean, so easy to screw up. I'll try to do better as time goes on. Please don't get offended and go away if I go too far. Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home