Tuesday, November 25, 2003

Why the economy grew

So it seems the economy grew by 8.2% in the third quarter, even more than was previously thought! Why such a boom? Well, of course there are plenty of theories around, but let me offer this one, just based on my own experience: it's because of the war in Iraq.

Since last April, I've become much more patriotic. I used to be a bit ashamed of America's wealth. Now I see it as a means to the power that we're using to liberate oppressed nations. I have more than I need for myself, as do almost all Americans (though some of them don't know it).

I used to be fairly apathetic about paying my taxes. I didn't think of it as a duty, let alone an honor, just as a way to keep out of jail. Now, knowing that 8% of the federal budget is going to Iraq, I am proud to pay my taxes. The government isn't just spoiling seniors anymore, it's advancing liberty. I wish I made more money, so I could pay more taxes.

And I have new role models: America's soldiers, who are taking far more risks and working harder than I am, and doing a lot more good. I wish I were there. But the next best thing is to stay home and build up the American economy by working hard.

If there are more people out there like me, maybe that's a small part of the reason why our economy is booming, while nations who lack such a sense of purpose, such as France and Germany, stagnate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home