Thursday, December 18, 2003

TRUTH OVER POLICY-- second thoughts
I was reading my post yesterday, and it finished by saying that I felt like the Democrats were "gently-gently pulling my leg." But I thought about it some more, and I realized, I sometimes get the same sense with Republicans. So maybe that's just a politicians thing. Politicians have to talk down to people because most people have less education, and know less about policy, than they do (and than people with Masters degrees in Public Administration do).

The difference is that when I hear Bush use simplistic, populist bad arguments, I believe there are good arguments behind the bad ones, whereas when Democrats use simplistic, populist bad arguments, I feel like behind the bad arguments, there are even worse arguments, and that what Democrats really want, though in our more scarcity-conscious country it's no longer politically wise to say so, is to solve every problem by utopian state interventions. The Democrats haven't exorcised the ghosts of the Great Society, the war on poverty, and the welfare state, which drove us from prosperity to stagflation, until Reagan rescued us and put our country back on the path of progress.

However, I'm a bit disturbed by my tendency to write something and then disagree with it the next day; also my inability to keep blogs short even though I know those are better. And I actually feel a bit ashamed to have invited so many people to read my blog and then not to be able to bring it up to the standards I thought I could achieve. Partly format is the problem. As soon as I learn a bit of html (hopefully over the break) I plan to re-design the page. Links and brief commentary will be in the center, longer, formal articles along the side.

So stay tuned. I'm heading home for Christmas today! California sunshine, here I come! Should give me some time to improve my page and give you a better product starting next year.


CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS
Tons of people make the case for the war. Nevertheless, one reason I started this blog was because I wasn't quite satisfied with the case by anyone. But a few days ago I finally found it-- the gold mine, the ultimate source, that exposes the twisted sophistry that was the anti-war movement; clear, clever, complete... Christopher Hitchens. If there are anti-war people out there reading this, PLEASE buy "A Long Short War" and get your thinking straightened out. It's a thin volume, and nice and cheap, very well informed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home