Friday, February 13, 2004

LAST NIGHT
I went to choir practice over at Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, and the piano player was gone. The guys know I play piano, so they asked me to help out. Oh yyyeahhh! It was very fun. I had to start by listening to the tapes to pick up the tunes by hear, but once we got started. A black gospel choir, singing at the top of their lungs. A bassist and a drummer. I can jam jazz-style by myself. But then I have to provide rhythm and a bass line myself. This is just about the first time that I've had somebody to do it for me. As the rehearsal went on, I started beginning to feel how much liberty that gave me to improv, to come up with my own riffs, to come in and drop out as I please, emphasize certain notes... Wow, it was fun! I'd half like to do it more often, if I became fixed in one place long enough to become a reliable member of some community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home