Thursday, July 22, 2004

PROTEST ABOUT SUDAN

I went to a protest today in front of the White House against the genocide in Darfur.  I was quite impressed.  The black speakers there reminded me of good ol' Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church.  I like black people.  (Is that somehow offensive?)  I made a couple of my own signs.  Here there are, with an attempt to convey the format:

GENOCIDE
WORKS
BECAUSE
THE WORLD DOESN'T CARE

PROVE ME WRONG


and on the flip side:

HEY WAR PRESIDENT
Let's see what you're REALLY fighting for
FREE DARFUR


I met a girl who worked for Planned Parenthood (attending on her own, not on behalf of her organization), and was immediately struck by the irony: here she is protesting against genocide in Sudan, while working for the #1 defender of what many people consider the abortion genocide here in the United States.  I guess she doesn't think so though.  She was nice.

We lay on the ground, symbolically-- a "die-in"-- and it was uncomfortable because the sun got very hot.  Made me think of the greater discomfort of starvation and death that so many black Sudanese are suffering.

You know, this is a great chance for America to come together-- white and black, Republican and Democrat, and, more to the point, pro-Bush and anti-Bush.  By now the case for war against Saddam has been whittled down to the good guys' case: liberation from a totalitarian murderocracy.  If Iraq, why not Sudan?

If you don't know what's going on in Darfur, the Washington Post sums it up pretty well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home